WALNUT AND BLACK BEAN BURGERS
Makes 4-5 single burger serves.
These are a favourite here and the recipe is also in The Beet Retreat Meal Planner**
**tap link to purchase and download for this and more than 80 other recipes designed to enhance health and quality of life for those of us in our middle years!)
A batch-cook favourite. You’ll have them on the table within 30 minutes. If you do a
double batch, process them in two separate batches for a consistent texture. These freeze exceptionally well and doing a double batch will save you making them again in a fortnight!
- 1 cup walnuts
- 2 slices good-quality bread, like sourdough or rye (see notes) or 1 slice and part organic oats
- 1 cup black beans* (canned is fine if you don’t want to cook them yourself. If canned, rinse and drain very well so the mix is not too wet.)
- 1 tbsp Bragg All Purpose Seasoning or tamari
- 1-2 tsp powdered Massel ‘beef’ stock (vegetable is okay too)
- 2 heaped tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 small handful fresh chopped parsley or other herbs
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½-¾ tsp liquid smoke** (see notes)
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes (optional)
- In a food processor, pulse the bread 2-3 times OR as required until it resembles a coarse breadcrumb mixture.
- Add remaining ingredients and pulse 2-3 times OR until it begins to resemble mince.
- Shape in to 4-5 burger patties and place on a lined baking tray.
- Bake in oven at 170C for about 14 minutes, turning them over halfway through the cook time.
- Remember, these are not meat burgers, so you could eat them raw if you like! You’re basically just warming them.
- Serve with a large salad or veggies, in a bun or a wrap, cold for a snack on the run or crumbled over anything for delicious, savoury black bean nourishment. You can also roll them into balls for ‘Neatballs’ or maybe even try them as ‘sausage rolls’!
Notes: I recommend a strong bread like day-old rye or sourdough and, if using, chop the bread a bit by hand first. You may want to blitz the crusts first then the softer part of the slice. Try the burgers with Cashew Aioli (page 15 of meal planner) and sriracha or other hot sauce, avocado, mushrooms, onion rings and lettuce in a yummy crusty sandwich!
I buy Misty Gully Hickory Liquid Smoke online
*use borlotti, cannellini or red kidney beans instead of black beans if you wish
**use ½ tsp smoked paprika if you don’t have liquid smoke
Walnut and Black Bean Burgers are the bomb!